General Education Frequently Asked Questions
Why are we reforming our General Education program?
- To create an intentional, cohesive program based on national best practices for General Education
- To enhance student learning
- To increase retention of all students, including those who transfer to UW Oshkosh
- To address challenges identified by the UW Oshkosh teaching community
- To address concerns and recommendations of the Higher Learning Commission
- To increase students' awareness of the goals, value, and purposes of the General Education component of their liberal education
- To address intentionally the Essential Learning Outcomes adopted by the UW Oshkosh academic community in May 2008
While there are many excellent elements of our current General Education system, the "program" has not been collectively examined or revised in more than 30 years.
How were the draft Signature Questions selected?
National models for General Education often use guiding questions to spark students' intellectual curiosity. The draft Signature Questions are derived from the UW Oshkosh Essential Learning Outcomes and from current major initiatives distinctive to this campus.
- How can people understand and create a sustainable world?
- How do people understand and engage in community life?
- How do people understand and bridge cultural differences?
Who is reforming General Education at UW Oshkosh?
All members of the academic community are encouraged to participate in the collaborative construction of the General Education Reform proposal. A multi-disciplinary team meets weekly to integrate input into the emerging recommendations.
How can I participate in reforming General Education?
- Schedule a visit of a General Education reform leadership team member to your department, program, or unit meeting
- Read the General Education resources that have informed this collaborative discussion
- Post related resources, articles, comments, or questions on the General Education Discussion board
- Contact a member of the working team for conversation
- Register now for related events during the Provost's Teaching and Learning Summit (Oct. 24-28)
Stay Up to Date with General Education Reform at: uwosh.edu/usp
Participate in the General Education Reform Discussion
Schedule a Visit from a Member of the General Education Reform Team